This Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup Combines the Best of Both!
Imagine getting the best of both worlds in one bowl of creamy, dairy-free soup! This combination of broccoli and cauliflower does just that in this delectable hot soup with a quick prep and a big fiber-filled payoff. This was inspired by a broccoli cheese soup craving and was accomplished with my favorite go-to cauliflower soup start. I enjoy the texture of the blanched broccoli pieces that give this gorgeous green soup a bit more than the cauliflower has alone along with the addition of coconut milk to make it extra creamy without the cheese. The addition of baby spinach gives this soup the green power that is good to the last drop both in flavor and vibrant color. I detect this will also be a favorite for the next time you are craving some super healthy green goodness to keep the body in full flavor, warmth, enjoyment, and a wee bit O’Irishness to boot. Erin Go Broccoli Cauliflower Soup this season!
Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
- Dutch oven or large pot
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 4 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chili flake
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup organic coconut milk
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups blanched broccoli cut into very small florets
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast or to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot or a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until starting to turn translucent. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add vegetable broth, cauliflower, cumin, cayenne pepper and sea salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Remove from heat and let slightly cool.
- Place 2 cups of the lightly cooled cauliflower and liquid in a blender. Add 1/4 cup of coconut milk and fresh baby spinach. Place the top on the blender slightly slanted to release steam. Blend until smooth. Repeat until all cauliflower mixture is blended. Season to taste with additional sea salt and pepper. Return the blended cauliflower back to the soup pot, adding in blanched broccoli florets, nutritional yeast and, stir. Heat to serve.